Salt lamps are very beautiful decor pieces and give a very unique look. Along with their glowing beauty, they also cleanse the environment in which they are placed. They are becoming really popular and are placed in homes, restaurants, and offices.
As everything has its cons along with pros, if you keep them switched on for long enough they might shed salt which is rare and unconventional. In this article, we will discuss, why is my salt lamp shedding salt and how dangerous it is.
Why is My Salt Lamp Shedding Salt – Reasons
The salt lamps do not easily melt it only melt if you place them in a wet condition like in water for a very long time or you can damage it by dropping them on the floor.
They like other lamps come in all shapes and sizes, salt lamps produce a glow and also purify the environment due to negative ions which attract the pollutants. These salt lamps also work as stress and headache relief.
They have a very long life span and are fire hazard-free as compared to other lamps. They have great medical benefits along with the visible beauty they provide.
The following are reasons for its salt shedding:
- If you have a small salt lamp the crystal pieces inside it can tumble from the large pieces which can cause the shedding of salt in form of these small pieces. You can avoid this tumbling by buying a larger salt lamp.
- Too much handling or movement can also cause vibration which causes small pieces to break and results in shedding of these pieces, so try sticking it at a place where no one can touch it very often, especially kids.
- As discussed earlier these salt lamps help in the purification of the environment where they are placed this purification process can also cause shedding, so don’t worry if sheds a little during this process.
- The shedding can also happen due to humidity and moisture, if you place your salt lamp in a damp place it can shed salt as well. Try using a dehumidifier in that case it will resist the shedding from the salt lamp.
- The other reason is using them roughly which can cause the shedding of salt.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What Types of Bulbs are Used in Salt Lamps?
Don’t use normal LED light bulbs in salt lamps because they produce warmth, which leads to shedding try using fluorescent or other bulbs which don’t produce much heat.
How Long We Can Keep a Salt Lamp Switched On?
You can keep it switched on as long as possible it doesn’t affect a lot but needs to be switched on for a minimum of 30minutes to fully glow it.
How to Clean a Salt Lamp?
To clean a salt lamp don’t put it into water or pour water on it because water melts salt, try using a damp cloth piece and dab it over the lamp.
Why Sometimes the Salt Lamp Turns White?
When the salt lamp absorbs moisture from the air it might turn white due to the salt residue on its surface, you can get rid of it by simply using a damp cloth and dabbing on the surface of the lamp until it return to its natural color.
The salt lamp is the most beautiful lamp used in homes or offices, they sometimes shed salt which worries people. There are many reasons for its shedding like moisture or damp places, over-heating, and rough handling. Which can be avoided by changing its places or handling it with care.