We don’t often see a floor lamp with a dimmer switch rather most of the lamps come with regular switches containing on and off buttons. But you can easily install a dimmer and control the flow of light in a lamp.
This dimmer switch allows you to control the light in the bulb and let you adjust the brightness manually. It can help you save electricity and also increase the life span of the bulb. The adjusting light feature helps you glorify your room as more beautiful.
In this article, we will discuss how to install a dimmer switch on the floor lamp.
Steps for Installing Dimmer on a Floor Lamp
There are two types of dimmer switches used in a floor lamp, we will discuss how to install them one by one below.
These types of dimmers are very easy to install and you can easily install them within a minute. You don’t need any type of tools or skills to install plug-in dimmers, just follow the steps below for simple installation.
- First, unplug the floor lamp power cord from the wall outlet or electric switch.
- Now plug your in-plug dimmer into the wall outlet.
- After that plug your power cord of the lamp switch in a receptacle on the plug-in dimmer.
- Finally, turn on the switch button of your floor lamp and check the functionality of the dimmer by moving it.
In-line Cord Dimmer:
As the name suggests this type of dimmers is installed on the cord of a floor lamp. It takes more time and you need a bit of electrical knowledge as well and all tools should be present for proper installation.
- Firstly, unplug the power cord of your floor lamp from the outlet.
- Now find a location on the cord, which you feel comfortable because once the dimmer is installed you will have to use it regularly, so chose the location of installation wisely.
- After that cut both wires and identify which is the hot wire and the neutral wire. Mostly hot wires have smooth insulation as compared to neutral wire which is a bit ribbed.
- You will need to uncover the dimmer and adjust the hot wire and neutral wire inside the dimmer switch according to the guidance on it. Make sure the uncovered part of both wires is apart from each other.
- Properly cover back the dimmer after adjusting the wires inside it.
- In the end, plug the power cord of the floor lamp into a wall outlet and check the dimmer by moving it that it is working properly or not.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I Install an in-line Dimmer Switch Anywhere on the Cord?
The short answer is yes, but it is wise to install it in the location where you feel comfortable using it rather than installing too far away on the cord if you have difficulty using it.
Do We Need a Special Light Bulb for Dimmers?
Most of the LED bulbs support dimmers or we can say are dimmable, but while buying make sure to buy incandescent light bulbs they support dimmer as well as good quality bulbs with a long life span.
Do Dimmer Switches Save Electricity?
The answer is yes because they don’t convert unused energy into heat, they convert it into full illumination capability of the bulb.
What Will Happen if We Install a Dimmer Switch to a Non-Dimmable Bulb?
If you use a non-dimmable bulb then the dimmer wants to adjust the light according to your wish it will work as a normal switch instead of a dimmer switch, but it can also damage your bulb.
Dimmer switches are becoming popular due to their multi-functions they not only adjust the brightness but also save energy. There are two types of dimmer switches plug-in dimmer or in-line cord dimmer switches. Both have the same function their installation depends on your lamp type.