If you like lamps then you will probably know they come in different varieties and sizes. Every lamp has different types of switches like a rotary switch, rocker switch, and cord switch. These switches may get loose or wear down due to extensive usage.
If your lamp has an in-line cord switch and it’s not working then read this article carefully, we will discuss how to fix lamp switch on cord.
Let us get into the procedure straight away without wasting any time.
Steps for Fixing Lamp Switch on Cord
As compared to other switches it is a lot easier to fix a switch on the cord. If your switch wires are loose try tightening them this will probably solve the issue otherwise replace the switch. Please follow the below process for replacing or repairing a switch cord.
Steps of the Fixing of Lamp Switch on Cord are as under:
- First, you need to see the switch size depending on the thickness of the switch, and after determining buy a new switch of exactly the same size e.g SP-1 or SP-2.
- Now cut the wires on the cord and remove the old cord switch, in some switches only hot wire is needed while some need both neutral and hard wire. Remove the outer layer of the wires for connection.
- Now match the wires in most cases neutral wire is connecting to the silver screw while hot wire to the brass screw. Make sure the match is perfect other wise switches won’t work.
- Cut any exposed extra wires and wrap them around the screw with your hands.
- Cover the switch by tightening the screws and making sure no wire is exposed outside the switch.
- Check if everything is done in the right way and then try the lamp. If it works fine otherwise repeat the process.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I Fix the Lamp Switch Cord at Home?
Of course. Anyone can do it at home without any problem if you have got the tools. It is a simple and easy process even for a first-timer.
Why Do People Prefer Cord Switches?
People prefer cord switches for floor lamps mostly instead of wall or ceiling lamps because they are easy to use and inexpensive as compared to other switches. They are also easily replaced or repaired, unlike other switches.
How Long Does it Take to Replace a Cord Switch?
It varies from person to person but you can replace it in 10-15 minutes easily.
Why is the Cord Switch Easy to Replace?
They are easy to replace because they are connected by a cord unlike others which are connected inside the lamps and you have to open all parts of the lamps.
Checkout out: How to Rewire a Floor Lamp
Many times people come across the problem of fixing the switches of the lamps due to any issue. We discussed the process of replacing cord switches of lamps in this article.
It is a simple process of just removing the old switch from the cord and replacing it with a new one by connecting wires to the new cord switch.